The first 24-72 hours your cast may feel tight due to swelling from injury.
In order to keep the swelling down, it is very important to elevate the involved extremity on 1-2 pillows above the level of your heart the first 24-72 hours.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, please contact your doctor:
- Numbness/tingling in your hand or foot
- Increased pain and tightness
- Excessive swelling below the cast
- Loss of active movement of fingers or toes
- Keep cast clean and dry. Cover up with plastic or waterproof bag when showering.
- Avoid pulling the padding.
- Avoid dirt.
- Do not trim or break off edges.
- Do not stick any object underneath the cast to scratch the skin.
- Do not walk on the cast unless instructed by your physician.
- Inspect cast regularly for any breakdown or soft spots.
- Inspect skin for redness, breakdown or increased swelling.